Friday, January 12, 2018

Up, up, and away!



Well, the day is finally here. After months and months of waiting in eager anticipation, I am finally leaving for Bologna, Italy. In just a few “short” 18 hours, I will be in a foreign country where I know virtually no one and do not speak the language (although I am technically 8% fluent in Italian according to the Duolingo app #ciao). I am so excited to the point where I can’t stop smiling at the strangers that surround me, but I am also so nervous to the point where I am profusely sweating; so, yes, I probably look like an absolute freak show right now. But I think I am allowed to be.


Trying new things, meeting new people, and seeing new places are some of my favorite things about being alive. Each and every time I have done something that has allowed me to venture into these realms of newness (going on mission trips, participating in Hands of Peace, going to college, etc.), I have come out on the other side with a more holistic perspective on life and deep connections that have inspired me to be a better version of myself. I was obviously nervous before going through all of these new experiences in the past, despite the amazing things that I gained from them, so it is okay for me to be nervous right now. There are so many unknowns out there: Will I make friends? Will I do well in my classes? Will the language barrier be burdensome? Will I be homesick? Will I get over my picky eating habits? Will I have enough money? Will I encounter health problems? These are just a few of the many questions that plague my anxious mind. However, the uncertainty is precisely what is so exciting about all of this. It is totally possible that I won’t make any friends, will fail all my classes, and will lose all my money, but there is also a possibility that I will develop strong relationships, love my classes, and find a million dollars on the streets of Bologna. I obviously understand that both of these scenarios are pretty unrealistic, but the cool thing is that literally no one can predict what will happen. So, the best I can do is live in the moment, take it one day at a time, let compassion be my guide, and remain true to myself.


I have no idea if people are actually going to read this, but on the off chance that they do, I figured I would give a little description of what I will be doing in Italy over these next four months. I am participating in a social justice-oriented study abroad program, along with 27 other American students that are from a variety of different universities. I will be living in a dorm with two other Americans from the program, and there will also be University of Bologna students living in the dorm with us as well. I will be taking three classes (Immigration and Globalization, World Religions, and Italian 101), in addition to having an internship at a local homeless shelter called Piazza Grande. This organization provides a number of social services, and has a very multidimensional approach to homelessness that prioritizes social integration and community building. I will be interning under one of the social workers at the organization, and I am looking forward to working for and learning from the experienced and wise individuals there. For one of my classes I will also be doing weekly service, most likely either at an after school program or a shelter for teenage girls who are victims of domestic violence. There are a few trips built into the program, including a weekend orientation trip to the Swiss Alps and a 10-day social justice tour in Greece. I will of course be travelling on some of the other weekends too, so if anyone has travel recommendations please let me know!!


In the wise wise words of Enya, “who can say where the road goes, where the day flows, only time.” I may not know where this road will take me, but I am so dang excited to find out. So, my lovely friends, family, and internet people who may be reading this, please wiggle your spirit fingers in my direction, send your good vibes across the pond, and stay tuned for all that this adventure may bring. I am truly sad to leave behind the people and places that I call home, but here’s to carving out a new home for myself in the beautiful city of Bologna, Italy.
**raises imaginary glass of wine**

4 comments:

  1. I am sad that I won't see you for a while, but I am also happy that you will experience a new world! You may be concerned about uncertainty of new environments, but I have confidence that you will fit well and have a great time just like a song's lyrics which say "It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.I hope you had the time of your life".
    - DK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much DK!! I really appreciate it :) I hope you have a great semester at SLU, and I am so looking forward to seeing you in the fall! You rock!

      Delete
  2. I am a friend of your moms at D219 and I am going to live vicariously through you and your blog. What a wonderful experience for you! I so respect this path you have taken. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe and enjoy the adventure.

    Therese M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What’s an Italians favorite kind of meat? Bologna!
    -Madeline C. Maloney

    ReplyDelete